West Seattle Junction
Feeling nostalgic for the good ol’ days, when strangers smiled as you passed them on the street and folks at the local watering hole welcomed you like a regular even if you weren’t one? A wonderful community spirit is alive and well in the West Seattle Junction (at the intersection of SW Alaska Street and California Avenue SW). Even nonresidents can embrace the life. On a recent afternoon visit we sampled homemade pastries, tried our first lavender mocha, discovered new art and updated our wardrobe.
1. 4218 SW Alaska Street Swee Swee Paperie & Studio (206.937.7933) Bringing her background in fashion design to the gift-wrapping table,
owner Ann Conway creates stylish packaging solutions for every occasion. This charming paper shop and studio also carries exclusive wedding
2. 4306 SW Alaska Street Twilight Artist Collective (206.933.2444) Founded by artists who wanted a forward-thinking exhibition space in their neighborhood, the collective represents an eclectic mix of contemporary arts and crafts. The all-girl exhibit in July shines a spotlight on urban art.
3. 4539 California Avenue SW West 5 Lounge & Restaurant (206.WE5.1966) The expansive menu at this family-friendly spot has something for everyone. We love the mouthwatering mac & cheese and the great happy-hour deals, including full-size appetizers ($4-6) and signature cocktail specials ($4).
4. 4447 California Avenue SW Clementine Shoes, Bags and Accessories (206.935.9400) Tons and tons of colorful shoes. From fun and funky to elegant and refined, this friendly shop offers a fresh and unique selection of bags and accessories by independent designers. And did we mention the shoes?
5. 4444 California Avenue SW Shoofly Pie Co. (206.938.0680) In a former life, Kimmy Hsieh Tomlinson was a financial analyst. Lucky for us, a pie-baking epiphany changed all that. Her popular pie shop features a tantalizing array of sweet and savory handmade pies with flaky all-butter crusts. Delicious.
4310 SW Oregon Street Blue Willow Catering & Luncheonette Lunch specials › On California Avenue SW: 4335 Seattle Fish Company Premium quality › 4410 Hotwire Online Coffee House Lavender mochas › 4511 The Electric Train Shop Hobbyist’s paradise › 4707 Georgia Blu Children’s boutique › 4710 Rubato Records Vintage vinyl › 4737 Bakery Nouveau Parisian macaroons › 4752 Ama Ama Oyster Bar & Grill Open late ‹