Lately, the Phinney-Greenwood area is coming into its own. “This has become a real neighborhood since I moved here in 1970,” says gallery owner Francine Seders, a pioneer here. “With the zoo, the Phinney Neighborhood Center, the new Greenwood Branch library and the farmers’ market, the community has become much more active and cohesive. You see more people out walking and enjoying themselves.” Wonder where to begin? Consider the Chilean flamingo exhibit at Woodland Park Zoo. Our pink-feathered friends inspired our own flock of funseekers to fly a few blocks north for the area’s ample entertainments.
1. 8317 Greenwood Avenue North Twig Children’s Boutique (206.706.0810) Tiny clothes always look adorable, but kids’ threads with a sustainable edge raises the bar. Owner Angela Johnson’s lovely children’s boutique offers well-designed organic, fair-trade clothing for stylish little ones.
2. 153 North 78th Street Makeda Coffee (206.782.1489) Formerly Seven Coffee Roasters, under new owners Prashanthi Reddy and Charlie Anthe the tradition continues with the same great beans and friendly service. Look for expanded hours and Asian-inspired desserts, plus beer and wine.
3. 7720 Greenwood Avenue North Lemon Meringue (206.297.6071) Featuring pretty dresses from Tocca, the latest lineup of premium denim, hip knits from Charlotte Tarantola, loads of girly accessories and so much more. This chic boutique is a draw for St. John’s moms and fashionistas citywide.
4. 6822 Greenwood Avenue North Oliver’s Twist (206.706.MORE) Romance and neighborhood charm meet here in a delicious mix of signature cocktails, savories and desserts. Try the Miss Nancy: gin, rhubarb-tarragon syrup, lemon, blood orange bitters and bubbly. Add a dish of garlic truffled popcorn.
5. 6701 Greenwood Avenue North Francine Seders Gallery (206.782.0355) Exhibiting this month: Robert McNown’s mixed-media paintings in the main gallery and small watercolors of Seattle neighborhoods by James Deitz upstairs. Tuesday through Saturday, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Sunday 1–5 p.m.
On Phinney Avenue North: 6015 Fresh Flours Mouthwatering pastries | 6412 Mae’s Phinney Ridge Café Homestyle breakfast | 6500 Frock Shop Fresh fashion | On Greenwood Avenue North: 6722 Stumbling Goat Bistro Local/seasonal fare | 7314 Carmelita Gourmet vegetarian | 8319 Chocolati Decadent truffles | 84031/2 Insurrection Apparel & Boots Vintage western | 8417 Terra Bella Sustainable flowers